Monday, January 28, 2008

the pencil story

I thought that this story was very creative and entertaining, but it got its point across as well. It is funny to think that computers have been available in schools for a significant time now without much use. It is silly to think of computers as only being useful in computer class, yet that's what it was like even when I was in middle school. We never used computers outside of computer class. Even in high school, I didn't see computers used very much in the classroom. I would use them to word process my papers, but that was all. I think it's great that computers seem to be finally breaking onto the scene and being used more. The pencil story was a great illustration of what has been happening (and is still happening) with computers rarely being used, especially among teachers who are resistant to change.

1 comment:

Jennie Schaff said...

You are so right, Heather, about teacher's resistance to change-- not all, of course, but way too many. Good points raised in reference to The Pencil Story.